Sunday, June 19, 2016

Busy Bee

It's been a busy couple of weeks. I moved jobs (yay!) and I get to work from home some of the time (double yay!), so of course I had to set up my home office. Armed with $500, I set out to BestBuy and Office Depot, bright and early, to buy an ergonomic chair, a monitor, a printer/scanner, wireless keypad and mouse and all the necessary adapters. I made it out with everything for about $560, and the rest they say is history! I had an old desk that I re-purposed and now I'm the proud owner of a full functioning home office and I've never felt more like an adult (I didn't even feel this accomplished when I bought a house - weird huh?). I don't have to run to FedEx to scan documents anymore! Now that I have a dedicated space to work and zen out, i'm sure more I'll get more writing done.

Lately I've been thinking about control. In a way, and as a woman, I feel like some parts of my life can be out of control. There are so many things that are out of my hands; I don't get to decide when it rains and floods, I don't get to decide if I get painful periods or not, I don't get to decide if my next boyfriend will turn out to be the one or not, I can go on and on. And there are some things I can control; what kind of employee do I want to be at work, my legacy, my field of study, how I treat people, etc. It occurred to me that what determines my quality of life is how well I do with the things that I can control, and my attitude to those that I can not control. For every situation I've found myself in recent times that was truly beyond my control, i'm learning to control my attitude, response and outlook instead, and I'm so much happier for it. It's okay to admit that I can't control everything, some things will inadvertently happen, some experiences will be difficult, but I'm a winner regardless because there's always a lesson to learn, and i'm wiser for it.

Lack of control of a situation does not mean my life is out of control. Off to make a cup of green tea.

xx

Busybee

No comments:

Post a Comment