Monday, February 22, 2016

Splurge vs Skimp!

When it comes to cosmetics, hair and beauty products, women are always spending. Most of these items need to be replaced during the course of the year so budgeting becomes an issue. The question on my mind when it’s time to replenish my supply is splurge or skimp???

Here’s what has worked for me on where to splurge and where to skimp:

Face Moisturizer. Definitely splurge here. You want something catering to your skin type (oily, combination or dry), that will hydrate without being greasy and set a good base for your makeup. You can get max benefits by going with something with a super ingredient like vitamin c or hyaluronic acid.

Body Lotion. Skimp!! There are lots of great drugstore brands like Olay, Dove, Cetaphil, etc. You can get a good size of body lotion that will address various concerns like sensitivity, itching or dryness for less than $10 a pop!

Face Wash. It depends! If you have problematic skin and you feel like you have tried everything (like me), it’s worth it to get a medical grade type of wash with an active ingredient such as salicylic acid or glycolic acid. If your skin is fine and happy, then grab a drugstore brand such as Aveeno’s face wash and save some $.

Body Wash. Skimp skimp skimp! I’ve tried them all! I’ve tried the $60 cleansing oils and to be honest most of it ends up down the drain. Yes my skin feels soft and silky right after my shower but 5 hours later I can’t tell the difference. Even with body acne, you can get a lot of options at the drugstore. I’m always skeptical about spending money on something that I have to rinse off almost immediately.

Foundation. I’m right in the middle here. I won’t say skimp all the way but there are a lot of mid-priced options such as Bare Minerals, MAC, etc that cover just as well as Nars, Dior and the likes. Somewhere in the middle is good enough.

Makeup brushes. Skimp all except foundation brush! Trust me on this one. That $50 highlight brush in human hair? Not necessary. My favorite brand for brushes is Ecotools.

Shampoo/Conditioner. Skimp. There are too many great quality brands available at the drugstore that cater to most issues except serious medical conditions. With a little trial and error you can find something that works for you.

Sunscreen (face). Splurge here. My sunscreen doubles as my primer and it serves as a nice base for my makeup. It’s also hard to reapply sunscreen when you have makeup on so I’d rather have a generous layer of good quality sunscreen under my makeup.

Sunscreen (body). Skimp. Get the most SPF you can for your buck and reapply as needed!

Eye cream. Splurge. This one might be controversial but we use so little of this product that it lasts a very long time. I personally have noticed the difference between cheaper eye creams and their more expensive counterparts. To make it last even longer, you can use it only 4 nights a week. Some of the prices are high but it’s cheaper than surgery!

Toner. Skimp. Witch hazel, diluted tea tree oil, apple cider vinegar, there are lots of options for good toners that won’t break the bank.

Serum. Splurge! This is the holy grail of everything you will ever put on your face. When the day is over and you wash and exfoliate your face, you serum goes on and works all through the night on restoring, correcting and repairing your skin. This is where you want to spend the most. Research brands that cater to whatever skin concerns you have and see about getting samples. Quality over quantity here. You are better off with a really good serum that you can only afford to use a few nights a week than something cheaper that you can afford to use every day. Find my current favorite here.

What are your favorite products to splurge on and where do you skimp?
xx
Busybee

No comments:

Post a Comment